Instead of focusing on the foods that aren’t safe with braces, think about how many are! Pasta is always a good bet
When one member of your family is in braces, it can feel like everybody’s under the same restrictions. It’s often easiest to prevent your kids from eating potentially dangerous snacks or foods by just not having them in the house. Fortunately, the braces diet doesn’t have to be an impossible one – and we’ll help you understand the best guidelines to follow.
Braces for kids take your children’s active lifestyles into account, but you and your children can take a few precautions to make sure there aren’t any sudden emergencies. Keep reading to find some of our tips, and get in touch if you ever have questions. If your family is just embarking on an orthodontic journey, Hinsdale braces for kids are available from our Grant Square-adjacent location. Just give us a call if you have any questions, or fill out the form below to reach out.
Simple Braces Safety
- Learn the general food guidelines – It feels more overwhelming to follow a long list of no-gos than to memorize some of the basic rules that should govern your kids’ eating. Teach your kids how to think critically about what they’re planning to put in their mouths – is it overly sticky? Chewy? Crusty? Crunchy? Then it’s not a good idea.
- Get tooth protection for athletic activities – The last thing you want is for your child to take a blow to the mouth during a game and experience a disaster. Make sure they wear an adequate mouth guard that takes their braces into account.
- Provide your kids with the right oral hygiene tools – A regular toothbrush and floss might not do the trick any longer. Ask us for special products that will help your kids remove food and plaque from tough-to-reach spots.
- Remind them to treat their braces with respect – Tell your kids that if they treat their braces properly, they won’t have to worry about emergency appointments, broken/painful brackets or wires, or getting in trouble for damaging their orthodontia. Remind them that braces are an important tool, and one that needs to be approached the right way.
- Handle the holidays with care – Your kids in braces can still enjoy special treats and sweets that accompany the holiday season – they should just avoid problematic ones. Here’s a long list of great sweets ideas that are safe for braces!