Feel like you’re not able to spend as much time as you’d like with your kids? Maybe it’s time to add oral hygiene to the daily bonding activities. Brushing and flossing together has so many benefits, from your kids’ oral health to your relationships as a family. Whether your kids are in braces or not, their daily dental care adds up to strong, healthy, and beautiful smiles. Learn more about how to boost family oral hygiene below, and get in touch if you have any questions.
How Family Brushing Builds Healthy Smiles
- Oral hygiene becomes more fun – For kids, brushing and flossing can be the most boring part of the day. But when you get involved, they feel much more excited about the prospect of cleaning their teeth. By doing things like playing videos or songs during brushing, or reading to your kids while they clean, you can add some spice to tedious daily tasks.
- You monitor your kids’ hygiene habits – We should all brush for at least 2 minutes, 2 times a day – but many of us are on fast-forward while over the sink. It’s easy to try to speed through oral hygiene, but important that you make sure your kids aren’t missing problem areas and allowing plaque to build up. Try picking a 2-minute song your kids enjoy to time them.
- You make sure your kids are actually cleaning their teeth – It’s easy for your children to pretend that they’ve brushed, but how can you know that they didn’t skip oral hygiene? By brushing and flossing alongside them, you keep better track.
- You spend time together – We know how frustrating it is to feel like you only get to see your kids on the weekends. Adding in a little evening bonding time is never a bad thing, even if you’re brushing and flossing through it!
- Your kids hold you accountable, too – How often do you skip brushing or flossing? Set up an oral hygiene chart on your bathroom wall so that everyone can keep track of their daily cleaning. Get a little competition going!